Clogs in poorly designed shower trays are very common, due to a number of factors. That’s why it’s so important to have a shower tray that has been designed with geometry that avoids this type of problem.
But what do you do if your shower tray is clogged? In this article, we share how to unblock a flat shower tray in various ways.
It is becoming increasingly common to choose shower trays instead of the typical bathtub. Due to their comfort, aesthetics and space they provide in the bathroom, showers can be a very interesting option.
However, if we don’t choose a shower tray with a good design that has been well manufactured, we can experience inconveniences such as uncomfortable and unpleasant clogging.
It is therefore extremely important to choose shower trays that have been designed with geometry in mind during manufacture and installation. At mcbath, we feature a manufacturing technology that guarantees perfect geometry in our resin shower trays: the mould making technology.
Thanks to this system, our products are much more efficient and have superior technical qualities, avoiding, among other things, the frequent clogging common in other shower trays.
Unclogging a shower tray by cleaning the inside of the wastepipe with traditional methods
Bathroom with Andromeda shower tray and Ulysses washbasin
As you will read in this post, there are many methods to unclog a shower tray. Let's see three:
- The next step is cleaning the bathroom siphon canister. If the bathroom smells bad, like stagnant water, the problem is most likely in the siphon. With gloves on, take the cover off the siphon canister and remove all the dirt that has accumulated.
- Wash with hot water from the shower hose. Take the shower handle and insert the hose into the drain. Turn on the hot water and let it run for a few minutes. With this step, if there’s a dirt plug, it will have to come loose to allow the water to drain properly.
- Use a pipe unblocker. If the water still won’t go down, move on to applying an unblocker to the drain. These are usually quite effective at getting rid of dirt, but are not the best option to use as a first choice as excessive use can damage pipes.
- Vinegar and baking soda: a natural unblocker. A homemade method for unclogging is to prepare a mixture of vinegar and baking soda, and pour it down the drain. After a few minutes, pour boiling water down the drain to remove the dirt stuck to the pipes.
Unclogging a shower tray pipe using an industrial unblocker
Mirage shower tray
If none of these steps to unclog a flat shower tray have worked for you, it’s time to move on to something more powerful, like an industrial unblocker.
Follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Finally, if none of the options we’ve given you work to unblock the drain in your shower tray, we recommend that you contact a professional plumber.
Remember that the best way to keep your drain functional is cleaning out hair and hygiene products when you're done showering, to prevent them from building up.
And, don’t forget, installing a resin shower tray that has been designed with your geometry in mind is the best guarantee that your shower tray won't clog.
Tools and utensils to unclog a flat shower tray
As we said, there are various ways to unblock a flat shower tray. The main tools you need are:
- Gloves. More than recommended to protect your hands during the process.
- A hoses is a key tool for unblocking pipework. Connect the hose to the tap to flush the drain with high-pressure water. The water dislodges plugs made of waste that prevent free drainage.
- It is also possible to use an air compressor to deal with waste blockages. They use compressed air to clear blockages in the drain without needing to flush the system with water.
- Natural unblockers like vinegar and baking soda can be used as described in this post.
- Proprietary products. These products are concentrated mixtures of chemicals that remove grease and other waste that can clog drains, and stop drains smelling.
- Industrial unblockers, used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
Although they may seem less effective at first glance, there are other tools for unclogging flat shower tray pipework, including:
- A drain snake, a tool often used by plumbers for cleaning and unblocking pipework.
- A plunger can also help with unblocking. The plunger has to be rapidly pushed up and down for a few minutes over the drain outlet.
How to unclog a shower tray drain by cleaning the filter inside the wastepipe
- 1. Do a good cleaning of the inside of the valve
The first step to unblock a shower tray drain is to give the inside of the wastepipe a good clean. This is the easiest option, and the first step to unblock your resin shower tray.
- 2. Remove the grill from the shower tray and take out the filter that incorporates the valve
To do this, you only have to remove the shower tray grid and take out the filter contained in the wastepipe.
You will see that hair accumulates in this area, which, mixed with soap, tends to form balls of dirt that prevent the water from draining properly.
- 3. Put the filter back on the valve
Now you will see how the water runs again.
Nova shower tray